Monday 26 September 2016

Fall at the Farmhouse

HELLO AGAIN FRIENDS! ...and HELLO FALL!! My favorite time of year!!
Sweaters & flip flops! lol
Remember, I am Canadian!
 I was itching to decorate for fall so off I went with the plans of finding white pumpkins! and then I saw these guys! and I fell in love! Just that little bit of color but with a faded look. so pretty!
  and yes I did end up buying a couple white gourds & pumpkins but that's because too much color burns my eyes!
 I wanted to keep my decorating very simple! Simple enough that people will know that I'm participating but not so much that it starts looking like I might be selling the stuff!
                                                                   #simplefarmhouse


 It's always nice when you don't have to go far to find some fall décor. Like right in your own flowerbed! Really, these hydrangeas are nice ALL year round!
This is an extremely chaotic time for our family right now, I am not finding that extra time to 'blog' at the moment. Once we get through this chaotic stage we are in right now and I have accumulated enough photos I will be posting updates for sure! Updates on what we have done, what products we used, how we dealt with temporary fixes, and much more. I have been dealing with health issues and trying to find out what's going on and this was not your average house purchase. OH NO it certainly was not! I am not only trying to run a household of 7 but also acting as the official dealing with the county for the farmhouse severance, and basically general contractor for the project. My husband works full time continental shifts and just sort of does what I tell him he needs to do. It's a LOT of weight for one person!

 I will tell you that a LOT has gone on and will continue to go on with regards to our farmhouse restoration. And I can tell you I feel wonderful about it! Lots of smiles over here. I am sure what I am feeling is hugs from that old girl because I have such a feeling of comfort in it!! There is still a lot of work-years worth of work to do but we have to try to prioritize those jobs as well. I have a lot of WANTS but we have to work on the NEEDS first as my husband reminds me!

 (I hope you are enjoying my simple fall décor!!)
 My mom in law said WHAT ARE THOSE!? referring to my strange form of cabbage. I don't know WHAT kind it is, I just like the looks of it and it was cheap! $10 for the 2.










Time to bring out those comfy blankets & quilts!
 My kitchen plans have changed-I am not having open shelving now, I am using some cupboard sections that we already had instead of open shelves. The cupboards are actually made from an antique upper cabinet that had been cut in 2! one half has a screened door so I assume the other had a screen door at one time. So on one side of the window the cupboard will be basically open shelving because there is no door and the other will have the screened door.
 I have been keeping in contact with Robin Stubbert the photographer who did my other photo shoots and we plan to do another in the future! OH! and she also said the the INTERIOR PHOTOS of the fall shoot we did at my old house may have been chosen to be featured fall 2017. Of course I will keep you posted about that!





I have also been busy creating items for my etsy shop RusticFarmhouseWares.
you can visit my etsy HERE
I use antique & vintage textiles to create my handmade designs all with that simple farmhouse style! Due to the nature of the fabrics some items may have slight discoloration & imperfections which only add to their character. I will be listing more aprons, pillows, stockings & other goodies asap. Let me know if I can custom make something for you! I will also list the occasional vintage item. 





 I've been stock piling some lovely grainsacks and linens and have been creating some cute lavender sachets and pillows. I have some orders to fill but I will continue to list more items as soon as I can.



So a couple years ago I made these vintage grainsack & ticking insert style pillows (below) and they have been pinned over 21,000 times! I guess you could say they are quite popular!
If you go on pinterest and type in 'grainsack pillow' they are right at the top!
So I decided to design some MINI PILLOW lavender sachets  
they are made in the same style as those ticking insert pillows!
AS CUTE AS CAN BE!

 And YUP! its that time of year again when I start working on Christmas stockings! I bet I run out of supplies sooner than later!
 Below are the textiles I am using to put together a custom order of 5 stockings. They will be so cute!
Well friends, I hope that this update-about not giving updates constantly is taken well! I love having all you wonderful followers and I don't mean to disappoint anyone but I just have to do what feels right for me. Just know that everything is going good.
Phew! I am in much need of a nap but I must start some potato soup and get the laundry done! Take care all! ~Mel

13 comments:


  1. Love all the Fall decor and the lavender goodies. Email me your address I have a few bits you may be able to use...
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh that would be fantastic Susan! I will send you my address! THANK YOU!

      Delete
  2. You write so honestly and your pictures superb, Melanie! I love the simple look...sometimes we are overzealous with our decor and it looks all jumbled up.

    You really have a challenge with your new place, raising five previous children and dealing with an illness that depletes you energy. I know, I take a medication and the number one side effect is fatigue. I sometimes feel like a complete loser when I want to lie down in the afternoon after sleeping until 10:00 a.m. Yet my sleep during the night is interrupted constantly. I think I need to push myself but the weariness always wins out. I can be in bed 10 hours a night, sleep only 5, and then want a nap in the early afternoon, and even that doesn't work. It's sleepiness but also brain fog. Hard to describe.

    So glad I found your blog, Melanie. As you can see I relate. And I also love your decor, spirit and photos!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh Jane sorry to hear you're not feeling well either. Sleepless nights are terrible! We need our sleep to feel better. It is next to impossible for me to take naps but OH I would LOVE to! so yes its not easy. I can only fit in so much in one day and my family demands much of it. When the kids are at school I am cooking, cleaning, running errands and SO much more! The list is long! Making all arrangements for the house. In between laundry loads or even while dinner is on I am sitting at the dewing machine trying to create and sometimes I am up at 4am or staying up late into the night sewing as well. So as my life is so busy and so many people and all their (stuff) surrounding me I love trying to keep my décor simple! it works! It keeps everything balanced! ~I hope you feel so much better soon! too bad you couldn't switch meds so you have less fatigue. Be well! ~mel

      Delete
  3. Oh my Gosh, really, I am in heaven here. Thes pictures and your words, the same process I am going through right now.
    I had to laugh loud, as I read "Simple enough that people will know that I'm participating but not so much that it starts looking like I might be selling the stuff!", hahaha, SO gooood :)) YES exactly, reducing to the real Maximum (just keeping the "raisins", as we say here), I would say.
    Nature gives us sculptures right now, these pumpkins, ah, your pictures are worth being printed out. I have to learn here, to do it mor like this, on my pictures my home lookes too sterile, in reality not so much, but I want more of this charme, you spread, even more nature here in my town appartement. I was looking at your post, reading, looking again... wow.
    And you are so right, YOU should be in the right mood, what and when to post, and we all will feel it and will be so happy, as your posts will be authentic, and not just "postet on time". No theme is wrong, because your life and point of view(s) are so inspiring.
    So, Melanie, have a gorgeous autumntime, happy greetings from Méa :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mea, Thank you so much!! and you are so right in the way you worded that-my posts will be more 'authentic' when I post them when I am in the right mood. Blogging about the house was something I started on my own but I started to feel I couldn't keep up and started to feel pressure. I know some bloggers with kids and stuff going on can do it and that's great! I couldn't. I do know that some bloggers can do it because they don't have kids though so it makes it so much easier for them! They have the time. I need to focus on what my life is telling me and it was saying SLOW DOWN. PRIORITIZE. ENJOY!! One of the biggest pieces of advice I was given regarding the restoration of the house was to enjoy my time, enjoy my family not let it consume me. So that's what I am doing. Take care mea! ~mel

      Delete
  4. You have such an eye for beauty that your photos are a real delight to see provoking memories of a bygone era. Do take care of yourself and enjoy your family, they grow up so quickly. Beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five children and house restoration would be enough to knock most people sideways. I overdid it this summer and a sure sign is feeling like you're slogging through instead of enjoying. I hope you can set some boundaries and get your groove back. I've become firmer (but not yet firm enough) about setting limits. Thrilled to discover you have an etsy shop but a teensy bit guilty wanting you to make more stuff. Go your own pace gal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to seeing your renovation, since your last house was one of my favorites! But I totally understand where you are coming from. Your linens are gorgeous and those Christmas stockings are adorable and that red and white quilt is just perfect for Christmas. I keep collecting linens and grain sacks to cut up, but I can never bear to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is absolutely gorgeous as is your decorating. Simple and delightful to look at.
    OOOH the linens are the best!
    You are a Mom first, wife, keeper of your home and master of your pets. That's a lot!
    Your honesty is refreshing.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your decorating and your home is beautiful. I completely understand being overwhelmed and you should definitely take time to enjoy your home and family. It seems to me blogging and crafting are a pure joy when I've taken time to breathe. It just flows naturally instead of seeming like a task. I enjoyed visiting your blog, your home has a very calm and peaceful beauty in the way that you decorate..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mel, love your post! The muted gourds are quite interesting, I don't think I've seen those tones before. You mentioned about your health issues, try ginger tea, it's amazing for that. Just a few slices of ginger (from the root) steeped in water and you're good to go (it may take a few days for you to notice a difference). I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed and you probably have a lot more on your plate than I do. Raising kids, renovating then doing a blog - it can definitely catch up to you. I look forward to your future posts but don't pressure yourself or you won't enjoy it anymore. I love your creations too, beautiful! Take care, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mel, I love the restoration of your home and rustic decor. The chair with a watering can that has been transformed into plant pot is gorgeous, Noi.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...